Tuesday, September 23, 2014

USA trip Day 3 The Grand Canyon

Grand Canyon

Today I went to the grand canyon. It was a mega early start of 5am from Las Vegas after about 3hrs sleep which was a bit painful. But I was able to get a bit of shut eye on the bus.

I had picked a west rim tour because the west rim has this skywalk which is a glass platform that lets you walk out over the canyon and look down.

This is the 2nd time in 6 weeks that I have done something like this. (I went to Cairns and rode in a glass bottomed cable car.) and it's the 2nd time I have thought to myself "whose brilliant idea was this?!?" Because I don't really like heights. Before entering the skywalk they have a display showing how it was built out of a strong German glass (lol because German is safe!?!). They make you wear shoe covers on the bridge so you don't scratch the bridge. So I felt uneasy but was assured the bridge would be safe. They also don't let you have cameras or any other personal effects on the skywalk so I couldn't take any photos and they try to sell you the professional ones but I always think they are expensive.

The Grand Canyon itself was amazing. I was watching a documentary about it on the plane trip over. It talked about how when 2 tectonic plates meet and are forced together, one buckles under the other and the top one is buckled to form land ridges. Years ago the whole canyon was covered in water but as the water levels dropped, it eroded the mountain faces to what they are today. You can still see the Colorado river winding through the Grand Canyon. 

 

 There is also a long history of local Indians living in the area and the west rim is an Indian area run by the Hualapai Indians. Their arts and craft are very pretty. We didn't get much info on them and their history. The tour did include a visit to a recreated town in that area. It reminded me a bit of old Sydney town and also looked like a set in all those Wild West, Clint Eastwood movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment