Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Chiang Mai Day 3

Today we drove out to the Maesa Elephant Camp. It takes about 1-2hrs to see everything here. We arrived just in time to see the baby elephants being bathed in the river. The baby elephants were so cute and they were really playful as they squirted water at their groomers, showed off a bit and rolled around in the river.

Then we proceeded to the arena to watch the elephant show. The elephants were amazingly talented. They kicked soccer balls into the goal, shot hoops, lifted logs and most spectacularly they painted! I posted videos because I don't think that pictures do the elephants justice. 

Move over Picasso... she is very talented

Take a bow... beautiful painting
The paintings the elephants did in front of us

This one was 6000 baht - about $250 Australian dollars

My new friend
After the elephant camp, we went and visited the Queen Sirikit botanical gardens. My favourite display was obviously going to be the orchid gardens.
Beautifully sculpted gardens
Each enclosure had a feature landscape
Love orchids!
Who knew cactii could be so nice...
After the botanical gardens we had some lunch before visiting the Bai Orchid and Butterfly Farm. There isn't much here but I love both orchids and butterflies so it was worth popping in here for me but I can see how some people would think it's not worth visiting.
One of my favourite orchids at the farm. Pink dual colour... pretty!!
My other favourite orchid
Such beautiful creatures... pity about the short life span...
After the butterfly farm, we headed back to the city. After a brief stop at the hotel to freshen up, we went to a Chinese restaurant in eastern Chiang Mai named Jia Tong Heng. My uncle visited last time and loved this restaurant. It was very busy and the sign boasted that it was the nicest Chinese restaurant in Chiang Mai. The fried tofu and fried prawn balls did not disappoint me but the rest of the dishes weren't really my taste. Nearby there is a pasar malam (night market) that I quickly browsed for 15 minutes whilst my family finished dinner. What what a busy day... I was pooped at the end of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment