Thursday, September 30, 2010

Christchurch

Heading back to London from Bournemouth.
Was chatting to some of the people I met at AECC who live locally. They suggested I stop off at Christchurch on my way back... I wasnt sure what to expect but it was quite a quaint little place.

The most touristy thing in Christchurch is the Priory. It's such a nice sandstone church dating back to the early 11th century. I just love looking at the beautiful stained glass windows.
Christchurch priory
Am reading a book about the Reformation at the moment (a little *light* holiday reading). The history of the Church of England is quite interesting. The Christchurch priory actually escaped being demolished during the reign of Henry VIII when he was destroying monastries in rebellion against the Roman Catholic church.

Nearby is the ruins of a castle. Christchurch castle was apparently ruined during a civil war but I dont really know details.











D would hate this - too many birds & she HATES birds
Was a beautiful day today and a great day for a walk around. The priory has a pathway that leads to the town quay. The gardens around the priory are so beautiful.


Had lunch down by the water and saw the largest swans i've ever seen. And they're quite brave coming right up to you... one got very close eyeing my food but luckily it didnt manage to steal any.
beautiful! this one came up so close and almost took my lunch out of my hands...

No comments:

Post a Comment