Sunday, October 3, 2010

Newcastle - Part 1


Atm i'm in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne which is in the north-east part of the UK. It's just south of Hadrian's wall which divided England and Scotland. I'm here to do the 1st and 2nd parts of the kinesiotaping course (cos it's the latest popular thing in sports therapy.)
Harry Potter fans will appreciatePlaform 9 3/4.

So on fri 1st I caught the train from Kings Cross station in London up to Newcastle. And stopped at Kings Cross station to take a photo of Platform 9 3/4 (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets).
I couldnt get through the wall either... although I did know better than to run at it with a trolley...
And i didnt have a flying car to take me to Newcastle... just had to make do with the train...

It's a 3 1/2hr train trip which was actually very boring. I dont really like sitting around. I have a britrail pass so dont need to book a seat on the train but it was actually quite full. And lots of seats were reserved so it was a bit of a pain trying to find an unreserved seat. Anyway all good in the end. Was chatting to some people from Sth Africa about their travels as they were heading up to Edinburgh on the same train. Then i just kept entertained with the free wi-fi. It's pretty cool that everywhere i go seems to have free wi-fi for me to use!

I seriously cant keep up with the weather in the UK. You have a nice sunny day followed by a crap rainy day. it was pouring when i reached Newcastle. Handy that the hotel i'm staying at is right next to the station. I arranged it that way as it's also next to the local light rail (Metro) system.
Checked in... I'd reserved a budget room cos accommodation isnt that cheap... so the room i got wasnt flash... but when i went  to put my drinks in the fridge, it didnt work. Housekeeping came to have a look at it and it wasnt working so with apologies they moved me to another room - which is really really nice... Awesome upgrade!!

I found out that Newcastle is the party city of the UK... people travel from everywhere for hens/bucks weekends. Took a walk to get dinner and there's heaps of young kids (they look around 15) hanging around. I must be getting old cos i look at them and it's fashion over sense... it's so cold here and yet they're wearing next to nothing. There's lots of these scantily clad girls and half of them are walking around already drunk by 9pm... Clubs, bars, pubs... there's heaps of nightlife in Newcastle...  I dont mind bars and clubs (considering I've hung out enough at the Ivy lately) but the ones here just seem so seedy and trashy... not my scene... boring Mel is going to hang out in my room at the hotel...

No comments:

Post a Comment