Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Cardiff Part 2 - St Fagan's Welsh National Museum

I was meant to fit Cardiff Castle & Welsh National Museum at St Fagan in today but only ended up doing the museum. It's funny that the museum isnt really on any of the tourist pamphlets they give you... but i was talking to a local at the jazz bar last night and he suggested it and said i would love it.

The Welsh national museum is basically a colletion of dwellings from around Wales
- so it's like a life museum. The only 2 structures on the site that were originally there are St. Fagan's castle and a little farm. The rest of the dwellings have come from around Wales. They were donated to the museum.
Most of the the dwellings actual houses people would have lived in not just recreations. They were disassembled and transported then reassembled/restored to be viable structures. You just walk around and can view demonstrations as well. The day I went there was a sadler demonstrating the making of leather goods and a weaver at an old style wool mill. The old grainery still makes wheat from grain that the cafe onsite uses to bake bread. The grinding machine is powered by a waterwheel on the outside of the building... no electricity but authentic/old fashioned waterwheel!

Celtic village - recreated from archeological finds (2000 yrs old)

Nantwallter Cottage (farmer cottage) - mid southwest Wales 1770's

Garreg Fawr Farmhouse - north west Wales 1544

I talked to some people about Cardiff Castle. They all agreed that it's not worth the price of admission (10.50pound) so I decided to give it a miss and do some retail therapy instead. (Although it was more of window shopping - i didnt buy anything cos I dont want to carry it.)

2 weeks in the UK and I'm not totally fond of the food here. For example, the locals rave about the fish & chips but i find it oily and dont really like it battered and deep fried. I'm finding everything quite oily & deep fried here cos i'm eating out all the time. This morning at breakfast, they had deep fried bread!! I had to ask for just plain toast.
So I was craving something a little healthier. I dont eat that much rice at home but I find myself climbing walls because i'm craving rice. So I found a sushi place about 1 1/2km from my hotel but the walk was worth it. And it's all you can eat!
The sushi train prices range between 1.70-3.70pound/plate... so i got my moneys worth by having 14 plates. But I guess the portions were very small. One plate had 2-3 small rolls or 1-2 nigiri.

No comments:

Post a Comment