Saturday, October 9, 2010

Roadtrip Day 6: Back to AECC Bournemouth

9th Oct, 2010

Today i left Weymouth early to get back to AECC Bournemouth for the 7th Chiropractic, Osteopathic & Physiotherapy conference (COP). Basically it was a heap of people presenting their research papers... lol... for non chiros it might seem a very boring use of my holiday time... but hey i have to justify the tax deductibility... nah joking... Call me nerdy but i actually really enjoyed the presentations.

Well i learnt a bit about osteopathy today. One school seems to be very similar to chiropractic... they practise manual adjustive techniques, MET and other techniques they deem to be 'structural'. The other end of the osteopathy spectrum is what they call 'functional' which is probably more like the chiropractic neuroemotional technique. Actually i think the girl i was talking to mentioned soft tissue mobilisation and yoga... so yeh i dont quite understand the osteopathic 'functional' technique.

Sorry to bore the non chiros. I just like what i do...  sorry this might seem like a foreign language to you...
the papers that were interesting were on subjects like Activator trigger point therapy vs stripping massage, effect of osteopathic manipulation on median nerve conduction (carpal tunnel implications) and effect of post isometric relaxation on pressure pain threshold.

Ok i'm a nerd.

Some students presented their final year research papers. Reminded me of my final year of chiro where we had to do a research project. Mine was on the effect of backpack loading on the adolescent spine. It was a bit of a topic at the time as there was collaborative research between the chiros and physios to develop the 'chiropak' or 'physiopak'. You see those kids carrying a backpack that must weight half of them so my interest was on the loading effect on a spine that is still growing.
So my research supervisor put me onto a guy who was doing some similar study for his phd. I went to his clinic in Leichardt and got some articles to start me off with my research... anyway... today i bumped into him... how many years later... He sold up and moved to the UK and is now a lecturer at AECC...

How ironic that I would bump into the guy who helped me with my own research project at a research conference...

No comments:

Post a Comment