Sunday, October 24, 2010

Newtonards

Sun 24th Oct

Today was a pretty quiet day.
Woke up and decided to go to a local church. Newtonards (where my uncle lives) is around 20min drive out of Belfast. It's a pretty small town.

The most popular church here seems to be the Presbyterian church and there are 2 about 100meters from each other. Both having beautiful sandstone buildings dating back to around the 1850's. I walked around town early but church services are around 11am here and it's very quiet before then as all shops close until 1pm. I guess most people go to church or sleep in. So from walking around I found that there are 3 Presbyterian churches, 1 Methodist, 1 Anglican Church of England and 1 Catholic church. Just like Starbucks there is one on every corner...

Visited one of the Presbyterian churches closeby. The people were so nice and welcoming and it's great to see the church community here. I must admit though today i was very homesick for NR@N.

Had a family lunch before heading off to the hospital to see my cousin Charles.

Arvo was pretty boring as I walked around the local shops for a bit.... there's really not much to do in Newtonards. I couldnt go into Belfast as my uncle fears I might get bashed or stabbed or killed if I walk down the wrong street - maybe into a Catholic part of the city...
I think he is over reacting in some way but I can see that ignorance and intolerance is still present in a large part of the Northern Ireland population.

Strean Presbyterian Church Newtonards

No comments:

Post a Comment