Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Cardiff part 1

Today i decided to have a sleep in but forgot to put the sign up so got woken up by the cleaners knocking on my door around 9am.

Hate it when you get to the station and have just missed the train by 2 mins. But i guess it serves me right for not checking the timetable and assuming i wouldnt have to wait long. The train to Cardiff from Bath runs every hour!
So I decided to just jump on a train to Bristol cos it's on the way and I could have a look around.

Well I managed to see the inside of Bristol train station cos I found out that trains to Cardiff run more frequently so jumped on one almost immediately.

Arrived in Cardiff around lunchtime. The first thing I noticed about Cardiff is that it's COLD! And it was a pretty crappy day. My hotel is right near the train station. It's also next to a jazz club and they have a discount agreement for dinner/food at the club.

But since my Britrail pass allows me unlimited train travel I might as well explore!
I decided to catch the train to Cardiff Bay. it's traditionally docklands - the old port of Cardiff.
They are trying to spruce up the bay with pouring heaps of money into new development - new shopping complex and arts centre (Welsh Millenium centre). But there werent many people around and I wonder how the shops survive with little business. Perhaps it's busier in the summer or on weekends...

Roald Dahl plass
Did a geeky thing and went to see the interactive Dr. Who exhibition. I've acctually only seen a few eps of Dr. Who so I guess a lot of it was lost on me. I do however like the spin off Torchwood that features Captain Jack Harkness who was in some eps of Dr. Who.

So I had to walk around Roald Dahl Plass because its where they film Torchwood. Torchwood 3 is a secret underground base under Roald Dahl Plass. That's the geeky side of me - getting excited about being where the show was filmed. My pic doesnt look as good as on TV =(

Nighttime I decided to try out this jazz bar. Free entry too if you are having dinner. Tonight there was a quartet playing 20-30's jazz. I personally prefer more modern jazz but overall an enjoyable night and I got a 20% discount on dinner and drinks as well... bar-gin!

5 comments:

  1. Are you going to the castle? Loving your blog. TY

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi
    part 2 is still in draft form... no i didnt end up going to the castle. entry fee was 10.50pound and i was told by people that it wasnt worth it and you cant take photos inside anyway.

    the st fagan welsh national history museum is free and i absolutely loved it... want to go back!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps thanks for checking the blog.
    i thought i would do this rather than spam ppl with travel updates...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I went because it was included on a tour. We went before it opened in the morning, though, and we were able to take photos as we were there early

    ReplyDelete
  5. did you like it? would it have been worth doing?
    i'm not sure why people were telling me it was a waste of time and money... 10.50pound is quite steep...

    ReplyDelete