Sunday, June 12, 2016

M&M&M's adventures Hawaii Day 1

Arrived at Honolulu airport around 6am. I must admit that I like overnight flights as I just tend to sleep. It was handy having a spare seat between Mich and I because I spread out and actually slept on and off for about 7 out of 9hrs of the flight. I'm glad because I was the one having to drive the rental car after getting off the plane.
We got a jeep! And I'm pretty proud that I could drive on the other side of the road and parallel park it first go!

Our Jeep... and my great parking spot right outside the Palace...

First thing we did was visit the markets at Aloha stadium. They are on Sunday mornings and I wasn't sure what to expect after just coming across a website for swap markets. They weren't great and mainly junk markets that reminded me a little of Parklea markets in Sydney. But we were able to buy some fresh fruit and snacks for our trip.

Yummm fresh fruits.

Next stop along the way was Costco because it was on the way and we had a little time to kill. This Costco was very much like the one in Auburn Sydney but again we managed to buy a bit of fruit and some chips.

This picture started off as a joke... There is a pineapple in every episode of Psych the TV show.

We had booked a tour of the Iolani palace at 11.15am so we needed to make it there. Just across from the palace is the statue of King Kamehameha in front of a building that is the Hawaii 5-0 headquarters and featured in the opening credits of the show. Being a H5O fanatic, I had to take a picture.

There were a couple of options for tours of the Palace. You could do a self audio tour or go on a guided tour. We opted for the guided tour as it is more personal. The Palace is the only palace to stand on American soil. It's construction dates back to the days where Hawaii was independent and had its own monarchy.

After the Palace tour we still had a bit of time before we could check into our apartment. So we went to a shopping mall on the way called Ala Moana. It's a huge shopping mall. We managed to organise US SIM cards for our phones. And then cos we were hungry, we decided to go to Bubba Gump for a late lunch. Marika and I had been to the one in Anaheim and they have a really nice shrimp, pear, Apple and raspberry salad. This Bubba Gump had a similar salad with strawberries instead of raspberries so we ordered that and a pot of garlic shrimp. Yummmmo!

Momma told me I'm special...
In the evening, we headed over to the Hilton Waikiki resort. I had a bit of a map of filming locations for Hawaii 5-O and so went around taking happy snaps.
We had dinner at Tropics Bar and Grill which is featured heavily in the show as the bar where McGarrett and co unwind after solving a case.
Rainbow Tower
Shrimp truck - not Kamakona's truck though
Tropics Bar & Grill





No comments:

Post a Comment